One day national conference
New Connaught Rooms, London WC2, Monday 11 November
Keynote speaker: Sir Andrew Foster, Controller, Audit Commission
Comprehensive Performance Assessment will shortly affect every local authority in England. The classifications that councils receive will determine the freedoms and flexibilities they are offered or whether they are to face special measures.
This timely one day conference will be an opportunity to hear from representatives of authorities who have already undergone CPA as well as a range of Audit Commission, ODPM and IDeA speakers about what may happen next.
Plenary and workshop topics include:
- Preparing Local Authorities for CPA
- CPA: a Framework for Better Public Services?
- Creating Capacity for Effective Performance
- CPA & Reflections on Recent Interventions
- High Flyers: Keeping Up the Momentum for Change
- Communicating CPA Assessments
- Motivating Change: Improvement Planning for Authorities
- Self-Assessment: What Councils can do to Build CPA into General Performance Plans
- Dealing with Appeals Against CPA Decisions & Intervention
- Can CPA Drive Improvement?
- Dealing with Failure: Intervention – A Force for Change
- Building Capacity to Improve
Other speakers include: Dan Corry, Executive Director, NLGN; Jo Blundell, Marketing Director, Serco Government Services; Sir Michael Lyons, INLOGOV, University of Birmingham; Professor Steve Martin, Director of the Local & Regional Government Unit, Cardiff Business School; Cllr. Peter Chalke, Leader, Wiltshire CC; Jack Edwards, Managing Director, Edwards Project Management Ltd.; Martin Horton, Director of Knowledge & Learning, IDeA; Barry Quirk, Chief Executive, LB Lewisham; John Haward, Local Government Modernisation Team, ODPM; Andrew Webster, Director of Public Services, Audit Commission; and Marina Pirotta, Independent PR Expert.
For a free press place, contact Helen Davies at Neil Stewart Associates on 020 7689 9207 or e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
All NLGN media enquiries to Ian Parker – 020 7357 0116 / email@example.com
On Sunday 3rd November, Radio 4’s Westminster Hour programme featured a lengthy item on CPA, featuring NLGN Executive Director, Dan Corry and local government minister, Chris Leslie MP. For those with a sound card on their PC, the item is currently available via: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/programmes/the_westminster_hour/963968.stm
NLGN is an independent think-tank, seeking to transform public services, revitalise local political leadership and empower local communities.