Job description and person specification
Type: Permanent, Full time (35 hours per week, excluding lunch hours)
Salary: £24,000 – £28,000pa dependent on experience
Reporting to: Head of Network
Location: NLGN’s offices in central London, with the possibility of occasional remote working
Benefits include: 25 days annual leave, 4% employer contribution to the organisation’s workplace pension scheme.
The New Local Government Network (NLGN) is unique. Unlike other think tanks we directly
influence both national policy and front-line service delivery. This is because we are rooted in the real world of public service delivery, through our growing network of 50 local authority members, to transform the way they work.
In addition, we have a clear and radical long-term vision of change, recently launched in our influential paper, The Community Paradigm , which seeks to revolutionise the public sector by giving communities real power over how their public services are delivered.
About the role
We are currently looking for a someone to help us develop and deliver our programme of
innovative events as well as grow our network and deepen our engagement with current
This post-holder will report to NLGN’s Head of Network and work closely with our External
Affairs Officer, with whom they will share responsibility for event delivery. If successful, you will be part of a small, dynamic team of 15 people, based in our vibrant and busy shared working space in Victoria, Central London.
- Work with other team members to develop and deliver innovative and engaging events
for our membership and beyond
- Creatively input into the format, content and logistics of NLGN’s events to further
increase their appeal and utility to participants
- Support fundraising for events through developing relationships with our corporate
partners and encourage partnership opportunities
- Proactively and positively manage event stakeholders, including partners, sponsors, and
other team members, before, during and after events
- Creatively use our social media channels, sector-wide contacts and other resources to
generate interest in our events and encourage participation in them
- Use event feedback and follow-up to refine NLGN’s event offering
- Work with the Head of Network to develop and send regular membership
- Be responsible for coordinating, and data inputting into, our membership CRM database
- Use our database, among other sources, to help identify opportunities to engage with
members and potential members of our network
- Attend, with colleagues, meetings with current and potential member councils and
- Respond to regular queries, ideas and proposals from our members
- Work with our finance team to make sure that invoices are issued and paid in a timely
- To be an ambassador for NLGN at our events and others, supporting the delivery of
NLGN’s vision and ensuring that the organisation’s profile and reputation are maintained
- Find and use opportunities to contribute our wider work, including through authoring blog posts and attending outside events
- Undertake other reasonable duties as specified by the Deputy Director or the Senior
Management Team, and to contribute to the corporate activities of NLGN
Our ideal colleague for this role will:
- have a passion for excellence and will never settle for second best
- be a constant source of new ideas and open to radical ideas from their colleagues
- flourish in an environment of autonomous working and speedy decision-making and be
trusted by their colleagues to make the right calls
- be eager to share their plans and work openly with other members of NLGN staff in a
spirit of collaboration
- understand the importance of a systematic approach and excellent record-keeping, and
never be afraid to get pitch in with the rest of the team
- be optimistic, supportive and fun to work with
The successful candidate will be able to demonstrate:
To apply for the role please send a CV and covering email of no more than 400 words
describing your suitability to email@example.com. All applications should be received by 12 noon on Tuesday 28 May. Interviews will take place Thursday 6 June at NLGN’s offices.
NLGN is strongly committed to being an equal opportunities employer. We don’t just ‘value
diversity’, we think it is central to what makes for a high impact, successful organisation. We positively encourage you to apply.
If you have a disability and need any assistance applying for this role, please do not hesitate to contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Leave and hours: We operate a flexible policy on working hours and leave. The NLGN’s team core working hours are 10am to 4pm but around this, staff are trusted to determine their own working hours and leave consummate with the fulfilment of their job goals to the highest level of excellence. To ensure well-being, full-time NLGN staff are expected to take a minimum of 25 days leave each year and work no more than 35 hours a week.
Well-being: NLGN is committed to staff well-being. Working long and late hours is actively discouraged and all staff at NLGN are committed to creating a pleasant, friendly and supportive environment in which to work.
Pension: NLGN will contribute 4% to the NLGN group personal pension scheme. This benefit cannot be substituted for any other benefit.
Probation and Notice: This role is subject to a three-month probationary period and a two month notice period.
If you would like to discuss the role or recruitment process please feel free to call Richard Nelmes, NLGN’s Head of Network, for an informal and confidential conversation on 020 7148 4601 or email email@example.com.