Permanent, Full time (37.5 hours per week, excluding lunch hours)
Salary: £34,000 – £38,000pa dependent on experience
Reporting to: Head of Network
Location: NLGN’s offices in central London, with the possibility of occasional remote working
Benefits include: 25 days annual leave, 4% employer contribution to the organisation’s workplace pension scheme.
About the role
We are currently looking for someone to develop and deliver our diverse programme of major events.
The successful candidate will be responsible for all aspects of these events, including: raising support from partners through sponsorship; working with internal and external stakeholders; developing themes and content and communicating with speakers and attendees.
Immediate projects include our large and well-attended annual conference at the City of London’s Guildhall; our International Women’s Day mentoring events with EY and a range of debates, dinners and receptions throughout the year.
The post-holder will report to NLGN’s Head of Network & Events and work closely with colleagues from across NLGN. You will be part of a small, dynamic organisation of 15 people, based in our busy and vibrant shared working space in Victoria, Central London.
- Lead development and delivery of innovative and engaging events that take our Community Paradigm message to, and way beyond, our current audiences.
- Establish and grow relationships with corporate partners and sponsors that result in increased income and support for our events.
- Creatively shape the format and content of NLGN’s events to further increase both their appeal and utility to participants.
- Proactively and positively manage event stakeholders, including partners, sponsors, speakers and other team members, before, during and after events.
- Creatively use our social media channels, sector-wide contacts and other resources to generate publicity for our events, and encourage participation in them.
- Research and invite high-profile individuals to speak at, and participate in, events, ensuring they are fully briefed.
- Register attendees, and develop automated systems to do so, as well as write and manage pre- and post-event communications.
- Ensure the smooth running of the events, including preparing resources, managing and liaising with venue staff and leading colleagues.
- Use feedback and follow-up to refine NLGN’s event offering.
- Work with our finance team to make sure that invoices are issued and paid in a timely fashion.
- Work with our CRM database (CiviCRM) to ensure our records are accurate and up-to-date.
- Find and use opportunities to contribute to our wider work, including through authoring blog posts and attending outside events.
- Collaborate closely with our thought leadership team on events including research roundtables and report launches.
- Be an ambassador for NLGN at our events and others, supporting the delivery of NLGN’s vision and ensuring that the organisation’s profile and reputation are maintained and enhanced.
- Undertake other reasonable duties as specified by the Head of Network & Events and the Senior Management Team.
The New Local Government Network (NLGN) is unique. Unlike other think tanks we directly influence both national policy and public service delivery. This is because we are rooted in the real world through our growing network of 60 local authority members and corporate partners, helping them transform the way they work.
We have a clear and radical long-term vision of change, recently launched in our influential paper, The Community Paradigm, which seeks to revolutionise the public sector by giving communities real power over how their services are delivered.
Our ideal colleague for this role will:
- have a passion for excellence and will never settle for second best
- be a constant source of new ideas and open to radical ideas from their colleagues
- flourish in an environment of autonomous working and speedy decision-making and be trusted by their colleagues to make the right calls
- be eager to share their plans and work openly with other members of NLGN staff in a spirit of collaboration
- understand the importance of a systematic approach and excellent record-keeping, and never be afraid to pitch in with the rest of the team
- be optimistic, supportive and fun to work with
The successful candidate will be able to demonstrate:
Recruitment process and timetable
- Wednesday 10 July – Advert published
- Noon, Tuesday 30 July – application deadline
- Friday 2 August – Shortlisting complete – interviewees informed
- Week commencing approx. 12 August – Interviews (day TBC, willing to be flexible to take into account travel plans)
To apply for the role please send a CV and covering email of no more than 400 words describing your suitability to firstname.lastname@example.org. All applications should be received by 12 noon on Tuesday 30 July. Interviews will take place week commencing 12 August at NLGN’s offices.
NLGN is strongly committed to being an equal opportunities employer. We don’t just ‘value diversity’, we think it is central to what makes for a high impact, successful organisation. We positively encourage you to apply.
If you have a disability and need any assistance applying for this role, please do not hesitate to contact email@example.com.
Leave and hours: We operate a flexible policy on working hours and leave. The NLGN’s team core working hours are 10am to 4pm but around this, staff are trusted to determine their own working hours and leave consummate with the fulfilment of their job goals to the highest level of excellence. To ensure well-being, full-time NLGN staff are expected to take a minimum of 25 days leave each year and work no more than 35 hours a week.
Well-being: NLGN is committed to staff well-being. Working long and late hours is actively discouraged and all staff at NLGN are committed to creating a pleasant, friendly and supportive environment in which to work.
Pension: NLGN will contribute 4% to the NLGN group personal pension scheme. This benefit cannot be substituted for any other benefit.
Probation and Notice: This role is subject to a three-month probationary period and a two month notice period.
If you would like to discuss the role or recruitment process please feel free to call Richard Nelmes, NLGN’s Head of Network, for an informal and confidential conversation on 020 7148 4601 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.